Thursday, August 04, 2005

Thoughts on MUSIC!!!!!!!!!!!

Who knows how to make music? Suprisingly many many talented people out there! Music is something that makes anyone relax and comes in all forms, suitable for everyone out there. I love music. If I was asked I would say that the world revolves around music. If you think about it any aspect in our every day lives can be spruced up with a little music.

Studying for example: I find it much easier to study when I am listening to music. I don't know exactly what it is but it triggers something in my brain which improves my concentration. I find that when I study and listen to music I am more likely to recall information later. My theory on this is that music is something that can very easily stick in your head. So when I listen to music and study the music that I listened to when studying something in particular triggers of the memory of what I studied. It seems to work for me. Perhaps give it a try and let me know if it works for you as well.

Singing is another thing that is very very relaxing for me. Perhaps not for those listening to me, but for me to sing it is like I am chanelling my emotions into a song. It is like the emotions become melodies all inter-twined to become a masterpiece... Well to the extent that my voice can take me. With songs the mood is set already so certain moods trigger certain outbursts of songs... Wonderful really the feeling... Happiness, sadness whatever it may be... After a little song I am just content.

In India there are many many people who are extremely talented musically and in other ways. It is amazing how much talent lies there. Almost everyone has a musical talent, whether it be composing, singing, playing an instrument or what not. All the shows that are on tv show this, how can things such as Sapthaswarangal & Raagamallika prevail episode after episode week after week? It is only due to the immense talent that lies there.

Here there are shows like Australian Idol/American Idol... They happen in bursts, of course many people audition and try out. Neverthless the number of people that make it are few. I was watching Australian Idol the other day, out of thousands of people that auditioned the judges found it sooo hard to get 15-20 people that made the cut. Not because they were fussy it is because there was a severe lack of talent. If I am not wrong in those that made the cut at least three were Indians. Another reason for Indian music shows to prevail is because there is immense interest in such things on our behalf. Truly Amazing!

I was listening to a couple of songs the other day. All tamil songs and was trying to analyse the voices of the singers... Here is a summary of what I came up with.

SPB--> All time LEGEND! His voice just makes me melt! No one to beat him I would say, simply fantastic! An ever youthful powerful voice.

Mano--> Great strong voice, he has the ability to change it which I think is a definite asset.

Hariharan--> Excellent singer, his voice is at its best when he sings hindustani and the songs that give importance to the voice (the music does not override the singing)

Shankar Mahadevan--> Awesome, a very funky, hip voice. His breathless songs is one of my favourites he has done an amazing job with it. A voice full of energy and vigour.

Harish Raghavendra--> Really really excellent voice. Very classical sounding & full of melody. One thing I really like about his songs is his pronounciation and the way he gives importance to certain words using a stylish approach (listen carefully to Chennai Sethamizh from M.Kumaran S/O Mahalakshmi for this). He has sung a few peppy songs, such as the Whistle addikum which he is also well suited for.
Karthik--> He can have either a very melodious voice or a really strong, emotion filled, powerful voice, but at the same time kinda nasal and a voice with an attitude. Really amazing talent and I think he has improved off late. One song which he has sung which is off beat & I think he has done an amazing job in is Sarala Kondayil from Ji, its a funny song, in which he has maintained his voice really well, not letting it lack lustre, I think it would have been extremely hard to do this.
Srinivas--> Pretty good voice, once again nasal, suits all the soft songs. Full of energy.

Tippu--> Just like his better half Harini, he has a very versatile, energetic, yet melodious voice.Immense talent.

Ok I think I should stop here. I know I repeated my self a lot with my descriptions. This is just because I am tired and when summarising it seemed to me that the words most appropriate were those that I used above. If and when I go to describe more male singers voices or the female singers voices I promise to try and be more descriptive. Hehehe... I love music... It can do anything used for many many sorts of therapies as well... Sleep, stress, relaxation, rejuvenation etc... To name just a few...


Just remember music is anything no matter whether it is Laaka Laaka Laakaaaa.... or Randakka Randaakaa... Its what we make of it that really counts!

Blogroll Me!

12 Comments:

At 5:21 AM, Blogger Gnana Kirukan said...

Oops I guess u left the great Yesudas - he has a magnificient voice!!

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger Rajesh Thiagarajan said...

SPB + ARR + Rajini Movie Opening Song = best you can ask for. Nice work Preethi.

 
At 12:31 AM, Blogger Woodooz said...

Wow... that was detailed...

I love singing too.. But I restrict myself to within the 4 walls of my room...

 
At 11:58 PM, Blogger Directhit said...

nice post ;-) me too was someone who loved to have walkman in my ears while preparing for exams ...

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger ada-paavi!!!! said...

p susheela n s janaki? ir? u missed em!

true music does have a soothing effect!

 
At 8:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hats, Nice post, I think u had not supossed to hear "P.Jayachandran" & "vani Jayaram" Voices.
100% of jayachandran songs are Melodies, in tamil he done only about 60 songs, in that more than 40 are very good melodies.

 
At 6:47 AM, Blogger Suganya said...

music la periya research panni irrukeenga... he he.. apt description..

 
At 2:47 AM, Blogger Krish said...

The sheer amount of talent in Kollywood (whether be it music, comedians or technicians) is simple amazing and yet, Bollywood gets all the limelight. Now whoever said the world is fair :-)

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger PreethZzZ The Original said...

thx all...

arjuna speaks: yep i left out yesudas, he has a great voice. Especially very apt for classical music.

Rajesh: lol, yeh great combo, but any AR, SPB combo is fantastic!

Somu: Hehehe, well tht gives enuf satisfaction i guess, so keep it up!

Anoop: Hehehe, yes another person like me. There are very few as far as I knw.

Vatsan: I didn't have any analysis of female singers in this post. I might get a bit controversial so I left it out I guess...

Gagandhar: Too true!

Anonymous: Wouldn't have a clue about them, will look into them when I get time.

Suganya: Hehehe...lol, and i didn't say the half of it..

Thennavan: Lol, very very true. But don't worry, bollywood is conquering hollywood and soon kollywood will conquer bollywood(hollywood wld be out of the picture by tht time ;))Let's hope there is more light shed on the music industry of the south.

You know apparently, the Northies are easier to handle as singers than the Southies for music directors, that's what I heard from a reliable source. I was surprised really, since my opinion was tht Southies have better voices.

 
At 1:57 AM, Blogger NS said...

nice post preethi..:) how come no mention of female singers?

 
At 2:01 AM, Blogger PreethZzZ The Original said...

Nithya: thx, thts basically because I did not get enuf time. I will sometime in the near future... Another reason is because there are way toooo many female singers, so it would take sooo long... But in the future definitely... Do look out for it!

 
At 3:21 AM, Blogger Jegan said...

Not only can this girl sing but she writes.. interesting post..
I love to sing my self ..inspired by Hariharan.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home