Monday, September 26, 2005

AR Concert Review Part 3

Here goes the third part of the review... I know some people have gone to the Singapore concert on the weekend and already written a review with as much detail as mine... Its amazing... Hats off to them! But anyway my review now continues... About the pictures I will put a couple up per each post and then after the reviews are over I will upload a couple of the best photos that I have from the concert. They are not excellent quality as we were not close enough to the stage and the camera zoom was not fantastic! :(... Without any further ado here goes...

As predicted AR Rahman sang his ever famous Dil Se Re song from the movie Dil Se... It was rendered in Thamizh and English... I love this song... Hearing it live was awesome... His voice was extremely powerful, the whole auditorium reverbrated with his voice... I would say this song is one of his best in terms of his music composition and singer collectively... The background music was absolutely fantastic and I also thought the chorus singers were awesome and very effective in this song...

The background/backdrop was simple but suited the song very well... Light was projected on the background screen and there was smoke, it created a lovely effect, which looked like clourful swirling mist... Seemed to add to the song's elegance a lot... Many wonderful voices from the chorus could be heard... I guess they are future singers to look out for in the industry (some current singers)... Many such as Karthik started as a chorus singer for AR Rahman and look where he is now... One of the most popular young male singers out there...

It was now the turn of the lively duo Hariharan and Sadhana Sargam yet again... I gritted my teeth and just waited for them to start singing... The background was a cactus shawdow sort of thing with background dancers... A women in a long flowing dress on stilts and a man in tights performing all sorts of acrobatics... Slow of course to go with the song... It was effective enough, nothing too special... Anyway the singers, were both very good... Hariharan really shone in this song... Sadhana was really good as well in the places where she had to sing high pitch (sounded just like Sujatha) and where it wasn't thamizh... Can't stand her pronounciation!!!! grrr!!!! Once again this was sung mainly in Hindi and little experts in Thamizh... None of Hariharan's antics were displayed during the rendition of this song... He just went out there sung it and did an awesome job!!! Background music once again was simply magnificant for this song, especially the guy on the flute (Will give him a special mention later on)!!!

Now it was time for a fully hindi song... It was by Mohammad Asmal, I have never heard of this guy before this... He had a pretty good voice... He put his heart and soul into the performance, extremely emotive... Having never heard this song before I didn't really get the feel for it, he sang extremely well in the parts which needed a lot of effort... It was evident that all that effort was there... The song was something like "Bindiyaa Aa Hista", no idea what exactly it was... Anyone know what I am talking about? For some reason they said it was from Swades I think perhaps, or maybe they were talking about something else... Deep confusions surrounding this one... Anyone able to clarify for me??? Anyone who went to the concert or

Next song was by Madhushree and Mohammad Asmal... I didn't really like Madhushree's voice in the songs that I have previously heard her sing in... However in this she was pretty good... Nothing too special... But a professional singer indeed... She has a very typical voice nothing too out of the ordinary... They sang the song "Hum Hain Iss Pal Yahan", from Kisna... I have never heard the song for more than 2 seconds... I was able to hear it in full this time... I liked it a lot it was a very melodious song... Very nice and soothing to listen to, with all the orchestra back up...

Asmal made a hat trick performance... and appeared in this song as well for the third time in a row... He was joined by Sadhana Sargam (original singer of this song), Ranjith and Naresh Iyer... Sadhana sang well but not well enough... I didn't like her original singing in this song and so I guess the live was slightly better in some bits and extremely worse in others (especially where she sang in Thamizh)... Ranjith and Naresh's voices were awesome and as was Asmal's in this song... All in all the whole song was very pleasant to hear... It was as pleasant as the background which was a flower with white petals and a yellow centre (daffodil or something? not entirely sure), on an slant (loved the angle which its was at for some reason... lol)...

This performance would have had to be one of my favourites for the night... Purely because of the song and the way it was carried out... Hariharan and Madhushree were set to blow the audience away... It started with Hariharan rendering a few notes and urging the audience to follow the lead... Suprisingly many people including myself did just that... What was even more suprising is that everyone was in tune... Chorus singing audience... All in tune... Truly amazing stuff and an exhilarating experience... It lasted about 30 secs to minute... At the end of it I could say, I have been taught by the great Hariharan himself... lol

The song was from Rangeela, Hey Ram... I used to love this song for a kid and would have done choreography for it at least 1000000 times... A wonderful song to hear and dance to... I was screaming my head off once Hariharan broke into the initial melody... Live was amazing... Sivamani did a spectacular job on the drums and the orchestra backup was also indeed very very spectacular... At the back was someone dressed in red, with huge sort of wings... I did not understad the relevance of this as I do not know what the lyrics to the song mean... :( I know all the words though... Only one line or one word should I say, I understand from this song... It shows that music truly does not need any language... Although understanding what is being said is a definite advantage...

Finally the wait was over... My absolute favourite was on stage... I am talking about none other than the GREAT Chitra herself... SPB and Chitra being my absolute favs it was a delight to see her on stage... SPB was sorely missed, the concert would have been a whole lot better if he was there but oh well... Hopefully next time... The song was also one of my all time favourites... Kannalanae from Bombay... She sounded just as she did in the song are dare I say even better if thats possible... Amazing and effortlessly her voice just flows like something sooo soft and soothing... I swear I had tears rolling down just hearing her voice... It was like reuniting with a long lost friend... Lol, I say this because I have previously seen her in concert and felt very moved after listening to her voice... Isai kuyil Chitra indeed... Amazing voice...

There ends the extensive third review... More reviews to come... More songs to analyse... I am trying to get it done as soon as possible before I forget everything... Short term memory you know... ;)

Blogroll Me!

10 Comments:

At 5:49 AM, Blogger Bhavesh said...

//I love this song..
Me too.. i can hear dat song any number of times and never get bored.. one of those few songs which sound great in both tamil and hindi..!!
infact all songs from DIL SE.. UYIRE sound great irrespective of d language..!!

Feel AR has never been better..!!

 
At 6:16 AM, Blogger Jagan said...

i will be missing the bangalore concert :-(((((((((((

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger Subramanian Ramachandran said...

best thing with ARR is whenever u hear his songs u wud tend to say it is one of the best from ARR....... ARR has given so many "one of the best" stuff...

nice to know another ARR fan ... :)

hey , visit http://rsubras.blogspot.com when u find time

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger Random Access said...

Hey sooper review. sorely miss missing the one here. Anywayz, I thot ARR was at his best in terms of music and singing in Vande Mataram..did he sing tht in the concert? Man, what a song that was!!! Truly inspiring every nerve..

Desperately coming bak every few hrs :P

And now WV has a new twist..The words are so pathetically inclined that I have to key in twice or thrice to get it right...arrrrgh...You wudnt know the pain as u r the author :P

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!

 
At 8:51 AM, Blogger Bharath Sattanathan said...

hey preeths,

guess i would be missing the concert too...not because of the reviews...think after the reviews i would hear the songs in my musiz system and take a bacardi instead for that money(gulp!!!)...hehehe

Filtered by sambhar...

 
At 1:26 AM, Blogger Harish said...

Preeth
U have taken us to a free trip to Autralian concert yaar..
Hai Rama is really a Sensous song..its too good to imagine such a huge size of audience singing chorus...
wow...that should have been one cool experience
Looking forward for more from u...

 
At 3:35 AM, Blogger Jeevan said...

Super review preethi.
I like the Chitra's Ovoru pokaluma from Autograph. My favorite singer is Karthik i like his all songs.

 
At 4:09 AM, Blogger Bhavesh said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger PreethZzZ The Original said...

justme: yeh... some very nice songs from that movie... but my fav has to be Hai Rama from Rangeela! Love it soo much! :)

Jagan: poor u.. why??? :(

r.subramanian: too true! Go AR!

RA: just wait a little longer..sorry for the torture... yep that was sung at the very end! :) To reply to comments I have to go thru the WV as well... But oh well prevents spammers! :)

Harish: Thx. It was truly awesome... An experience to treasure!

Jeevan: Thx, I'm not a fan of tht song... But love Chitra... and Karthik is also a fave!
filtered sambhar: LOL! If tht suits u better go rite ahead! LOL!

grey vampire: Don't worry... I like AR but there are many there other than him that are fantastic as well.. He has been very consistant until recently with his quality and thats what gives him the leading edge! :)

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Speech is Golden said...

Hey! Thats the most detailed review I have ever seen and it reads well. Half way there. Eager to read the rest - relive tht 'experience'.

from the snaps, i can see u were right below the stage. i am so J.

Regd the Swades song by Aslam, I believe it is 'Aahista Aahista' sung by Udit Narayan. chk it out

Cheers,
Ram

 

Post a Comment

<< Home